Monday, August 29, 2011

Look who's back, back again...

It's almost September, which makes me a bad blogger, as now I will take you back in time to July...where we last left off!


So, it's the beginning of July and for obvious reasons, my Moroccan friends and family had no plans to celebrate July 4th, but American holidays are something to be shared here. Especially, according to Peace Corps 2nd Goal, 'Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served'. I take that goal and stretch it even wider than America and share all the British holidays too. As I explained to my fellow PCV Falisha, who just before the 4th jokingly asked me, "but, Annemarie, don't you feel so torn on the 4th, being a nus-nus (half-half)?" To those of you reading who know me, you know that my response was, "you know me, any reason to celebrate!" Dual citizenship=Double the fun  


And so, celebrate we did...4th of July, Moroccan style (which means minus all the coolers of ice cold...yeah, you get it). We made it into a double hefla (party) as my host sister Yassmine, also turned two that weekend and Hayat (my host Mom) had asked me if we could have an American birthday party for her. Birthday's are another cultural exchange as they are not celebrated here. Not surprisingly, most people don't even know how old they are. 


Knowing that Mamaksu (my host grandmother), has a Moroccan BBQ, I went out Saturday morning and bought steak, peppers, onions and courgette, to make shish-kebabs with. While everything was marinating in a tasty garlic-citrus marinade (my own creation), I made some sauteed potatoes as a side dish and also baked a chocolate chip pound cake for Yassmine's birthday cake, along with some Jell-o. 


In the afternoon, I took everything over to Mamaksu's, where we all helped to cook the shish-kebabs. My new site mate Emma, and Hessna, the pharmacist also joined in for the festivities. After getting Yassmine cleaned up from the mess she becomes when she eats, Hayat dolled her all up (and I mean All Up, as you can see fro the pics!) for a photo shoot and cake presentation. Hayat also made her a cake, so she had 2 cakes for her 2nd birthday...going to have to do some baking ahead of time next year! 


While we were eating we talked about what the 4th of July means and I know that my family understood what I was explaining to them, because they too asked how I choose what side I am on. I told them I don't have to choose, drew an imaginary line down my middle and said half is British and the other American. Not missing a beat, Mamaksu said, "La La La Miriam (No No No, Annemarie)." Then she drew two imaginary lines, dividing me into thirds, and said, "tgit nus Tamirikanit, nus Niglasia, awd nus Tamagribit" (you are half American, half English and half Moroccan).  Pride. 


Shish Kebab Madness
My Baking Skills
Before...
Before...
Getting all Dolled up
Blowing Kisses
Birthday Girl
Two Cakes for Two Years
Stylin' & Profilin'
Mmmm Candy & Cake...
Blowing out the Candles
Birthday Smooches
Me-Hessna-Emma-Mamaksu & Yassmine
Hayat-Me-Emma-Mamaksu & Yasmine...with her eye on the prize!


1 comment:

  1. Another long awaited but fascinating episode of your life away from home - but we're all anxious to be brought more up to date and to know how Ramadan affects your own life there. So until then, much love from Granddadxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete