Friday, January 6, 2012

M'Bruk Asgwass Oojjdeed!

That's how you would say Happy New Year in Tamazight, but no one does. They do watch the fireworks of all the major cities on the news though.

I was lucky enough to spend time with my family and friends in London over the Holiday's, which was a very enjoyable break...thank you to all who made it so special, including Marisa (another volunteer here), who came along with me :)

It looks worse in person than picture...
I hesitated as to whether or not I would blog about this, as I don't want to discourage anyone from sending care packages ;) But, I decided that it was too humorous not to post a picture of.

Upon return to Tounfite, I went to the post office to see if any mail had arrived while I was gone. Lucky girl that I am, there was a Christmas care package from Francesca (thank you!). The only thing is it looks as though enroute it may have been used as a chair.

Even my local postman, Mustafa, laughed as he handed it to me and said, 'mumkin shan arayz guh tiara iqqim guh cartonnm am corsi!' Which translates to, 'it's possible some man on the plane sat on your box like it's a chair!'.

It has also been open and re-taped...from the looks of it quite possibly by a three-year-old. Let's just hope nothing is missing. I should mention however, that Nana and Dad sent me a Christmas package as well (thank you!) and it was in the exact same kind of box, only untouched and in perfect condition with nothing missing :)

Oh you sexy door...

That's right. My bedroom door is wearing a skirt. But, not just any skirt, it's a hot pink, corduroy, kids Gap skirt which cost me 3 dirhams ($00.34) at souk (market) on Sunday. Steal. 

You may be thinking, "Oh, No! She's unraveling over there!" Don't worry. I am still sane (some might argue a little crazy, probably wouldn't argue with them either). 

No my friends, the thing is the door is Moroccan and rather than sitting less than a centimeter from the floor, my door sits about 6 inches off the floor. Which is fine during the summer, but come winter it makes for a very unwelcome draft. Last year, I had a large blanket folded in front of the door, but stepping over it all the time got annoying. So as the cold and snow set in this winter, I nailed the purpose-bought-skirt to my bedroom door.  

It's gorgeous right? 

That's all from me for now...

Smooches x





No comments:

Post a Comment