Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Cooperative Chorouk at Cafe Clock in Fez



A couple of weeks ago Rabha and I went to Cafe Clock in Fes to put up the coop's display in the restaurant. Rabha was already in Azrou for a training so we agreed to meet at 1pm in Fes, which is only an hour and a half journey from Azrou. 

I took the early morning bus from Zaida which went directly to Fes and is roughly a six hour bus ride. Upon arrival at the restaurant a waiter greeted me and told me to have a seat and that Mike was on his way. Mike showed up not too long after that, and we began to discuss the ins and outs of the display. 

Time ticked on and before I knew it, it was already 2.30 and still no sign of Rabha. I apologized to Mike and explained that she was in Azrou for a training and must have been held up. Rabha called not too long after that and told me she was on her way and to tell Mike to wait for her. I told Mike that she was on her way and he said no problem that she can discuss things with his assistant, Khalid. Mike is opening another restaurant in Marrakech and wasn't going to be able to stick around as he has a busy schedule to say the least. 

When Rabha finally showed up at 3.30 I was fuming. She knew how important the meeting was. I kept my cool and told her how unprofessional her tardiness was. She apologized, but I don't know that it really sunk in, after all Khaild was there to talk to her, and I had been there to keep the appointment with Mike, so I don't think she thought it really mattered. Another high to low in 0-60 seconds, it's amazing the ups and downs you go through in Peace Corps. 

I spent the next four hours on a ladder, with my arms above my head, hanging carpets in what was well above 100 degree heat. Guests stopped to inquire about the display and I spoke to them with sweat literally pouring off of my face. It was gross and it certainly didn't help that I was already worked up from earlier events.

When the last carpet was hung I collapsed into a chair and drank a gallon of ice cold water while doing my best to ignore Rabha's medical advice-drinking ice cold water will make me sick. Rabha and I then had a very tasty dinner-Mike had generously told me to make sure that we have a meal before we leave. Rabha didn't know what to do when she saw the menu. She took about a half an hour to make her mind up as she was uneasy about ordering food that ran between 60-100 dirhams a plate. I told her not to be shy, that Mike had offered the meal and not to worry about the price. She finally decided on a grilled chicken breast sandwich. I had the tabbouleh, hummus and falafel plate, which is what I always order. Everything was delicious as usual. 

Before we ate, Rabha asked where she could wash her hands and so I told her to follow me. I led her to the bathrooms and we both washed our hands together. Then Rabha experienced her first ever automatic hand dryer. It was entertaining and she squealed when she put her hands under it and it came on automatically. 'Urjean annaygh shan lhawaj imchi' (I've never seen something like this)! We both laughed and went back downstairs to wait for our food. 

It was then that I started thinking about Marisa's ladies from Hdida. They had boarded a plane almost a week before that headed to America for a month long tour of the USA, where they will teach those interested in weaving how to weave and also take part in the Santa Fe Folk Art Festival.  I couldn't stop thinking about all the very many 'firsts' they were experiencing. It's hard to imagine what they must be going through. For me coming to Morocco was like stepping back in time. But for those ladies heading to America must be like traveling into the future. I look forward to talking to them and Marisa and hearing about their experiences in the USA.

Mike has already e-mailed me to let me know that the display is generating conversation in the restaurant and that we have sold one carpet. He is going to feature the display on the restaurant's website in the near future and will also be getting in contact with the writer from the Fes blog The View From Fez to hopefully interview Rabha and create a blog entry about the coop and their works. 

Fingers crossed sales do well!

Miriam x



2 comments:

  1. Another interesting blog, Annemarie, and congrats on the sale of a carpet--hope more have sold since. Looking forward to hearing about the women's trip to America. Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very fortunate to have Mike's full cooperation at the Café Clock and therefore Rabha needs to act more businesslike. Otherwise, that relationship may not last very long after you leave Morocco. Please make her understand this...and hopefully the sales will blossom. Much love from Granddad xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete