Friday, September 24, 2010

It's Myyy Biiirrrthhhhddaaayyyy!!!


My Henna Hands



Hello again!

As many of you know, I am extremely happy here in Morocco! I have the most wonderful host family I could ever have wished for, the food is delish, the language is coming along shwiya b shwiya (little by little), and everything in general is just amazing!

Yesterday was my birthday and it was a fantastic day. I started the day with my first "shower" in 4 days...actually it was a bucket bath on the landing of our stairs in my new home! When I got to my LCF’s in the morning, everyone sang Happy Birthday to me. We had a freshly baked birthday cake for breakfast and as gifts my CBT group gave me a wooden beaded bracelet and two packs of almonds J In the afternoon, we all went to my host family’s house for tea. When we got there, there were around 20 members of the community all waiting for us/me and we had a Moroccan birthday celebration! It was fantastic! Hafida, my host mom baked me Birthday cake and iced it with “Happy Birthday Miriyam” (which is my new Moroccan name!). She also made all kinds of other sweets and breads, which were all yummy. There was traditional Moroccan music playing and all the women were dancing and smiling. Hafida gave me a beautiful Kaftan (traditional gown worn by Moroccan women). Hafida and my LCF, Malika also coordinated a Henna artist to Henna all of our hands…pictures to follow! I received many phone calls from all you lovelies in England and America—Thank you! It was so nice to hear all of your voices.

On a funny note, I asked Malika if we could play a traditional American birthday game of pin-the-tail on the donkey, which she had never heard of. After, explaining it to her I joked and said that with all the real donkey’s around here we could play pin-the-tail-on the-Real-Donkey, to which she got very excited and said, “YES!! I’ll ask the landlord if she has a donkey we can borrow and we will play it next week!” Hahahahahaha. So next week a highly competitive game of pin-the-tail-on-the-Real-Donkey will take place J Can’t wait!

Armnbd (Until later),

Love-Hugs-and-Kisses

Miriyam xXx


Malika (LCF), Stacey and Me with Henna hands


Stacey and me waiting for the Henna to dry

Getting Henna

Birthday Celebrations

Birthday Cake from Hafida

The girl's in my CBT Group and my Birthday Crown

My LCF's/School

Shower...

Door to my bedroom


My bedroom


My bedroom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annemarie, I totally love the photos!!Happy b-day and I hope you are having a great time! Btw, my younger brother( he was 12 years old at the time) totally refused to use the shower and bathroom when we were kids. We had to go to a hotel just so he could go to the bathroom. Very funny stuff! You must ask if there is a Turkish bath in the area. They are way awesome! Drink some tea for me! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miriyam
    Thanks for all the new pics which really help us all to indulge in your own new experiences. What a wonderful time you're having - so we can't wait to get to Fez ourselves next Thursday. We'll be in touch soon. Lots of love from Granddad & Karen xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete