Friday, September 3, 2010

Welcome!

Hello and Welcome to my blog!

As most of you already know-I am getting ready to depart to Morocco for 27 months of service in the United States Peace Corps on September 14th, 2010. After a grueling two year application process I finally found out I was in and going to Morocco in July 2010! So I packed up all my belongings in London (where I have been living for the past three years) into boxes and bags and put them into storage at my grandparents house in Essex-thank you Grampy for letting me invade your garage!

After a very tearful goodbye at Heathrow airport, where I had to say not goodbye, but 'see you soon' to my lovely Nana and darling Jerry, I hopped on a plane and headed back to Virginia for a twelve day visit with my family and friends stateside. I am on day four of my visit and let me tell you it has been a rocky start! After flying in what was apparently 'way too tight'a jeans' for a 7 1/2 hour flight, I landed in Washington DC with painfully swollen feet which stayed that way for two and a half days. Even better than swollen feet, I managed an allergy attack (who knows what the allergy was, as I didn't know I had any) in which I rubbed my burning eyes so hard, I gave myself an eye infection in both eyes. After a trip to the eye doctor's yesterday I am now on the road to visionary recovery thanks to some prescription antibiotic eye drops.

And so now that I am 'all-better' I look forward to an uneventful next 10 days! Lots of catching up dinners, impossible packing (two bags for 27 months?!), then goodbyes all over again and on Monday, September 13th, 2010 it's off to Philadelphia for staging and then off to Morocco on the 14th.

I hope you enjoy reading my blog and please post comments as I will be eager to hear from everyone!

Make sure you become an official 'follower' of my blog that way you get a notification when I have made a post.

6 comments:

  1. Annemarie: Just want you to know how very proud I am of you. You are so brave and so strong! I know you will be just fine and the Peace Corps is so lucky to have you !! I love you and will be your biggest blog follower! Love you to the moon and back... Mum xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Baby, I just want you to know that like your mum I'm so proud of you and I have total respect for what you are about to do, This experience is going to change you for the better and make you an even stronger person all round. Your going to love Morocco, It's People and the Food!!! I'm always here for you just call whenever you want, Thinking about you none stop!! Love you to bits girl... Take care, Your Jerry XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Annemarie: Despite being tired after your flight. no doubt you're feeling a lot better now that you're actually on Moroccan soil - along with your fellow P.C. volunteers. Our thoughts are with you as you embark on this new adventure with new experiences to expect every day, I remember Casablanca and Marrakech well so I know what delights are in store for you. Don't forget that we'll be very close to you when we're in Fez on 30th - but may not be able to see you due to the P.C. rules. Meanwhile, enjoy every moment. Much love from Granddad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annemarie,well you made it! Now for the big adventure. We are proud of you, you have more guts than I do. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Hope we get the opportunity to visit you in Morocco! Miss you! Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for making me laugh before I go to bed Annemarie! Love the stories. Keep up the good work and keep entertaining your fellow volunteers! Look forward to seeing the pics and hearing more news. BTW no email notification!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annemarie - just love reading your blog and sounds as though you have made friends already - not surprised at that - we are all so proud of you and admire you for what you are doihg. Love you so much and can't wait to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete